Wanted: Part-time Custodian. Time varies but may be up to 12 hours a week at minimum wage. Please contact the office of Asbury United Methodist Church, Watertown, if interested.
General Statement of Duties:
Perform routine building cleaning, maintenance, and repairs. Set up and clean up for activities and events. Snow removal, lawncare, prepare and maintain grounds. Driving may be necessary for this job, but an auto is not required. The work hours are determined by the needs of the church as per the Trustees. Perform routine building cleaning as per the chart of Church Cleaning Assignments, attached.
Essential Job Functions (in coordination with the cleaner):
1.Mop, wax and buff floors. Strip tile floors; discuss calendar timeframes with the Trustees.
2.Make minor repairs to furniture, electrical fixtures, windows, locks, plumbing, heating systems, and other equipment, as directed by the Trustees.
- Empty waste baskets collect and move trash to curb for pick up.
- Mow lawn, remove weeds from foundation. Trim around playground fencing. Clean trash from lawn, steps and parking lots. Perform a variety of other grounds-keeping tasks as assigned.
- Assist in the operations of gas fired low pressure steam, hot water or hot air heating systems. Check the system for water and proper operation. Drain air from the radiators in the office and classrooms. Install, maintain and remove all conditioners in all Asbury buildings. Maintain all small equipment owned by Asbury.
- Order, receive, move and store supplies. Will require lifting and carrying up to, but not more than 60lbs.
- Set up, to include tables, chairs and special equipment for events. Return furniture and equipment after event.
- Priority: Maintain all sidewalks and steps clear of ice and snow. Remove snow and ice from all sidewalks daily prior to opening of New Day Children’s Center and prior to all church services and events. Repeat throughout the day and evening as weather indicates. Includes shoveled, clear walking paths from the street to the main church entrance, from Sterling St to the New Day Children’s Center entrance, Franklin and Parker St. entrances. Clear paths from the streets to the sidewalks for unloading passengers on Sterling, Franklin and Parker streets. Place barricades if there is a potential of ice falling from roof. During winter months, check roofs over the kitchenette and bathrooms for ice buildup and/or damage.
- Make certain buildings, church and New Day are secure when activities and events are completed. Unlock buildings for scheduled activities and events. Report structural, functional concerns or suspicion of criminal activity to Chair of Trustees or Watertown Police Department.
- Duties as assigned in Warren Hall- New Day Children’s Center. This includes: collecting recyclable papers and flatten cardboard, place in bins inside Wesley Hall. Change light bulbs, minor repairs to building, playground, fences and gates. Minor plumbing repairs, change kitchen grease traps periodically and adjust thermostats as needed.
- Attend staff meetings, coordinate with the cleaner, and complete other duties as assigned.
Work Experience, skills, and training requirements:
Have a knowledge of electrical and plumbing codes. Know the MSDS (material data safety sheets) and where they are. Have general electrical, plumbing, painting and carpenter skills, and an awareness of HVAC skills. Be able to lift 60 lbs.