Our History and Mission
In 1849, Asbury United Methodist Church's original congregation was formed under the loving eyes of Reverend Bishop Janes. Just one year later, again under his tutelage, a new church was built on the north side of State Street where Burger King now stands. The group of 138 members chose the name State Street Methodist Episcopal Church of Watertown.
The desire for a better building and a quieter location prompted the congregation to begin building a new church on its present site in July, 1907, completing it in 1914. It was built of Pennsylvania Marble at a cost of $125,000. The church was built to seat 1400 people. The raised wall between the sanctuary and the rotunda area is the largest mechanically-operated dividing wall north of Syracuse.
In 1965, a new education building was completed to meet the needs of our Sunday School. The New Day Children's Center now uses the facility.
Asbury's Mission is to celebrate and spread God's love by:
Accepting others unconditionally
Comforting, Caring and Listening
Teaching through inspiration
Making a joyful noise
Making Disciples for Jesus Christ for the Transformation of the World!